Ask a Question
Handout: 40 Things to do to Increase Biculturalism in Transracial
1. Choose a multicultural babysitter or respite provider
2. Choose a multicultural faith environment
3. Choose a multicultural physician
4. Choose multicultural artwork i.e. pictures, statues (preferably from the
child’s culture of origin)
5. Choose to adopt a multicultural vacation location
6. Choose a multicultural grocery shopping environment that also has traditional
7. Choose multicultural daycare and schools
8. Choose a multicultural mentor for your child
9. Choose a multicultural mentor for the parent
10. Choose to live in a multicultural neighborhood....
Responding to Racism:
Heighten your awareness:
Bias Awareness Test
Race in America: Understanding
about this transracial parenting scenario. How would you respond?
Twelve year old Tina, who is a minority, comes
home from school visibly upset. When questioned, she begins to cry and relates
the following events to you:
Her friend, Joyce, told Tina that her mother said that in the Bible it says that
it is a "sin" to mix the races. Joyce's mother said that not only is your family
a sin but because Tina is mixed race her birth was a sin.
Tina loves to go to church and religion is becoming important to her. She is
very troubled about what Joyce told her and wants to know if this is true.
What is your initial reaction?
What would you tell Tina?